Derek Beres is a multi-faceted media expert and group fitness instructor based in Los Angeles. He is the Director of Content for RChain Cooperative, a blockchain solution working on creating industrial-scale utility. A former reporter and magazine editor, including reporting local beats throughout New Jersey and a year as a crossword puzzle editor, he has written for dozens of publications, including MTV, Rolling Stone, Village Voice, Women’s Health, and Yoga Journal, and is currently a columnist for Big Think. Derek is also the music specialist for 24 Hour Fitness, and served as the Creative Director of the Tadasana Festival of Yoga & Music. He has been featured in the NY Times, LA Times, Vogue, Shape, Fitness, NPR, and numerous other outlets.
At Equinox Fitness, he co-created Flow Play, an innovative program that fuses yoga, music, and neuroscience. He continues to teach five group fitness classes a week in Los Angeles and streams his yoga classes on Yogis Anonymous. Derek is ACE, AFAA, Schwinn, and Kettlebell Athletics certified. His latest book, Whole Motion: Training Your Brain and Body for Optimal Health, was published in 2017.
Alongside David ‘Duke Mushroom’ Schommer, EarthRise SoundSystem has released three albums and four EPs. Derek has produced records for Six Degrees Records and Vieux Farka Toure. He toured internationally with GlobeSonic, was a regular guest at the legendary Turntables on the Hudson parties and resident DJ of Kollektiv with Karsh Kale. He has performed alongside Jamiroquai, Ojos De Brujo, Sidestepper, Brazilian Girls, Yerba Buena, Antibalas, Cheb i Sabbah and more. He served as music supervisor for the breakthrough documentary, DMT: The Spirit Molecule, and is the host of the EarthRise Podcast.
Since an early age, books have transported me to worlds unimagined. The art of narrative has been a driving force in my life. My nine books span a lot of territories: the computer as the first world folk instrument; why training your brain is as important as training your body; the moral system underlying yoga. I practice the craft often, writing about health, fitness, neuroscience, and religion for Big Think, blockchain for RChain, and music for 24 Hour Fitness. Whatever doesn’t fit into those realms goes on Medium.
A few quick links:
- My first book, Global Beat Fusion (2005), treated the computer as the first world folk instrument, covering many musicians I was writing about at the time as an international music journalist
- My latest book, Whole Motion (2017), investigates why it’s as important to train your brain as your body
- In this article for Furthermore, I discuss why I left vegetarianism after twenty years and the profound health effects it had on my body
- My most popular article on Big Think ever is about how reading makes you more intelligent and empathetic
- This piece on Public Seminar dives into why we still believe in homeopathy
Growing up in the Jersey suburbs, I spent countless hours lying on my bedroom floor tuned in to 89.5 WSOU. I’ve devoured music in any and every capacity possible, and feel lucky to have worked in so many facets of the craft for so long. Original work can be heard in my partnership with David “Duke Mushroom” Schommer as EarthRise SoundSystem, while I regularly update my Soundcloud and Spotify mixes.
Suffering numerous injuries playing sports in my youth,
Current weekly schedule in Los Angeles
- Sunday | Kettlebell/ViPR Combo | 10:45-11:35 am
- Sunday | Vinyasa Yoga | 12-1:15 pm
- Tuesday | Vinyasa Yoga | 9:30-10:30 am
- Wednesday | Power Yoga | 7:30-8:30 am
- Wednesday | Vinyasa Yoga | 5:45-6:45 pm